Archive utility based on the MSDOS ARC program
DescriptionThis program is based on the MSDOS ARC program, version 5.21, plus a few enhancements... ARC also performs Huffman Squeezing on data. The Huffman Squeeze algorithm was removed from MSDOS ARC after version 5.12. It turns out to be more efficient than Lempel-Ziv style compression when compressing graphic images. Squeeze analysis is always done now, and the best of packing, squeezing, or crunching is used. Compresses and extracts Squashed files. "Squashing" was created by Phil Katz in his PKxxx series of ARC utility programs for MSDOS. Dan Lanciani wrote the original modifications to ARC's Crunch code to handle Squashing. I've made minor changes since then, mostly to reduce the amount of memory required. The 'q' option flag must be specified to Squash files. The Squashing algorithm will be used instead of the usual Crunch algorithm, and will be compared against packing and squeezing, as before. This package provides the arc and marc commands. MARC can be used to merge files compressed by ARC.
3048 other people were interested in this package here. The newest known version of this software is 5.21q-4 (Information last updated about 5 hours ago.)
Upload new screenshots
Thanks for uploading more screenshots. Please note:
- Your screenshot should contain a typical scene when working with it.
- Take only a screenshot of the respective application and not of your whole desktop (unless the screenshot is meant for a window manager).
- Your screenshots must be in PNG format.
- You can upload multiple images at once.
- Your screenshot need to be approved by the moderators first. You will already see your screenshot but it will not be visible to others instantly. If moderators reject your upload you will get notified next time you visit this site (requires cookies).
- Images larger than 800x600 pixels will automatically be reduced. So don't try to capture too much detail in a screenshot. It may become unreadable. Shrink the applications window if possible.
- Screenshots are made public and can freely be used by anyone.
- Useful programs for making screenshots are shutter, ksnapshot (KDE), gimp, xwd or scrot. See the Debian wiki for more information on how to make screenshots under Debian.
- Please set your language to english so that everybody understands it. If you don't use english by default please start your application from a shell using after setting "export LANG=C".