high-performance, enterprise-grade system for backing up PCs
DescriptionBackupPC is disk based and not tape based. This particularity allows features not found in any other backup solution:
* Clever pooling scheme minimizes disk storage and disk I/O.
Identical files across multiple backups of the same or different PC are
stored only once resulting in substantial savings in disk storage and disk
writes. Also known as "data deduplication".
* Optional compression provides additional reductions in storage.
CPU impact of compression is low since only new files (those not already
in the pool) need to be compressed.
* A powerful http/cgi user interface allows administrators to view log files,
configuration, current status and allows users to initiate and cancel
backups and browse and restore files from backups very quickly.
* No client-side software is needed. On WinXX the smb protocol is used.
On Linux or Unix clients, rsync or tar (over ssh/rsh/nfs) can be used
* Flexible restore options. Single files can be downloaded from any backup
directly from the CGI interface. Zip or Tar archives for selected files
or directories can also be downloaded from the CGI interface.
* BackupPC supports mobile environments where laptops are only intermittently
connected to the network and have dynamic IP addresses (DHCP).
* Flexible configuration parameters allow multiple backups to be performed
* and more to discover in the manual...
Upload new screenshots
Thanks for uploading more screenshots. Please note:
- Your screenshot should contain a typical scene when working with it.
- Take only a screenshot of the respective application and not of your whole desktop (unless the screenshot is meant for a window manager).
- Your screenshots must be in PNG format.
- You can upload multiple images at once.
- Your screenshot need to be approved by the moderators first. You will already see your screenshot but it will not be visible to others instantly. If moderators reject your upload you will get notified next time you visit this site (requires cookies).
- Images larger than 800x600 pixels will automatically be reduced. So don't try to capture too much detail in a screenshot. It may become unreadable. Shrink the applications window if possible.
- Screenshots are made public and can freely be used by anyone.
- Useful programs for making screenshots are shutter, ksnapshot (KDE), gimp, xwd or scrot. See the Debian wiki for more information on how to make screenshots under Debian.
- Please set your language to english so that everybody understands it. If you don't use english by default please start your application from a shell using after setting "export LANG=C".