ancient Greek oblique font revival (companion to GFS Didot)
DescriptionIn Greece the terms italic and oblique have the same meaning since they are borrowed from the latin typographic practice without any real historical equivalent in Greek history. Until the end of the 19th century Greek typefaces were cut and cast independently, not as members of a typefamily. The mechanisation of typecutting allowed the transformation of upright Greek typefaces to oblique designs. Nonetheless, the typesetting practice of a cursive Greek font to complement an upright one did not survive the 19th century. The experimental font GFS Olga (1995) attempts to revive this lost tradition. The typeface was designed and digitised by George Matthiopoulos, based on the historical Porson Greek type (1803) with the intention to be the companion of the upright GFS Didot font whenever there is a need for an italic alternative.
Upload new screenshots
Thanks for uploading more screenshots. Please note:
- Your screenshot should contain a typical scene when working with it.
- Take only a screenshot of the respective application and not of your whole desktop (unless the screenshot is meant for a window manager).
- Your screenshots must be in PNG format.
- You can upload multiple images at once.
- Your screenshot need to be approved by the moderators first. You will already see your screenshot but it will not be visible to others instantly. If moderators reject your upload you will get notified next time you visit this site (requires cookies).
- Images larger than 800x600 pixels will automatically be reduced. So don't try to capture too much detail in a screenshot. It may become unreadable. Shrink the applications window if possible.
- Screenshots are made public and can freely be used by anyone.
- Useful programs for making screenshots are shutter, ksnapshot (KDE), gimp, xwd or scrot. See the Debian wiki for more information on how to make screenshots under Debian.
- Please set your language to english so that everybody understands it. If you don't use english by default please start your application from a shell using after setting "export LANG=C".