PNG (Portable Network Graphics) image optimising utility
Descriptionpngquant is a command-line conversion utility to quantize and dither truecolor PNG images, especially those with a full alpha channel, down to 8-bit (or smaller) RGBA-palette PNGs. Such images are usually two to four times smaller than the full 32-bit versions, and partial transparency is preserved quite nicely. This makes pngquant especially useful both for Web sites and for PlayStation 2 development, where one of the texture formats is RGBA-palette-based (though not PNG-compressed). This is the same technique used for many of the images on the Miscellaneous Transparent PNGs page (http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngs-img.html), and the results are often indistinguishable from the original, truecolor PNG images. Optimizers (like pngcrush and optipng) optimize the compression, usually losslessly, while pngquant quantizes colors down to 256 (or fewer) distinct RGBA combinations, which is lossy.
Upload new screenshots
Thanks for uploading more screenshots. Please note:
- Your screenshot should contain a typical scene when working with it.
- Take only a screenshot of the respective application and not of your whole desktop (unless the screenshot is meant for a window manager).
- Your screenshots must be in PNG format.
- You can upload multiple images at once.
- Your screenshot need to be approved by the moderators first. You will already see your screenshot but it will not be visible to others instantly. If moderators reject your upload you will get notified next time you visit this site (requires cookies).
- Images larger than 800x600 pixels will automatically be reduced. So don't try to capture too much detail in a screenshot. It may become unreadable. Shrink the applications window if possible.
- Screenshots are made public and can freely be used by anyone.
- Useful programs for making screenshots are shutter, ksnapshot (KDE), gimp, xwd or scrot. See the Debian wiki for more information on how to make screenshots under Debian.
- Please set your language to english so that everybody understands it. If you don't use english by default please start your application from a shell using after setting "export LANG=C".