Smart Unicode Latin/Greek fonts for literacy (tight spacing version)
DescriptionAndika ("Write!" in Swahili) is a sans serif, Unicode-compliant font designed especially for literacy use, taking into account the needs of beginning readers. The focus is on clear, easy-to-perceive letterforms that will not be easily confused with one another. A sans serif font is preferred by some literacy personnel for teaching people to read. Its forms are simpler and less cluttered than some serif fonts can be. For years, literacy workers have had to make do with fonts that were available but not really suitable for beginning readers and writers. In some cases, literacy specialists have had to tediously cobble together letters from a variety of fonts in order to get the all of characters they need for their particular language project, resulting in confusing and unattractive publications. Andika addresses those issues. After receiving many insightful comments on the Design Review and Basic fonts, Andika's final letterforms have been refined with alternate shapes still available for some characters. This font now contains the same character set as Charis SIL and Doulos SIL. Andika provides OpenType and Graphite features like smart code for diacritic placement and supports recent additions to Unicode and the SIL PUA, and character assignments are updated to conform to Unicode 5.1 See the FONTLOG for information on this and previous releases. This is the compact version to allow more flexibility with diacritics.
6678 other people were interested in this package here. The newest known version of this software is 5.000-3 (Information last updated about 22 hours ago.)
Upload new screenshots
Thanks for uploading more screenshots. Please note:
- Your screenshot should contain a typical scene when working with it.
- Take only a screenshot of the respective application and not of your whole desktop (unless the screenshot is meant for a window manager).
- Your screenshots must be in PNG format.
- You can upload multiple images at once.
- Your screenshot need to be approved by the moderators first. You will already see your screenshot but it will not be visible to others instantly. If moderators reject your upload you will get notified next time you visit this site (requires cookies).
- Images larger than 800x600 pixels will automatically be reduced. So don't try to capture too much detail in a screenshot. It may become unreadable. Shrink the applications window if possible.
- Screenshots are made public and can freely be used by anyone.
- Useful programs for making screenshots are shutter, ksnapshot (KDE), gimp, xwd or scrot. See the Debian wiki for more information on how to make screenshots under Debian.
- Please set your language to english so that everybody understands it. If you don't use english by default please start your application from a shell using after setting "export LANG=C".