This package contains optional components of the GNU troff text-formatting
system. The core package, groff-base, contains the traditional tools like
troff, nroff, tbl, eqn, and pic. This package contains additional devices
and drivers for output to DVI, HTML (when recommended packages are
installed - see below), PDF, HP LaserJet printers, and Canon CAPSL LBP-4
and LBP-8 printers.
The X75, X75-12, X100, and X100-12 devices, which allow groff output to be
conveniently viewed on an X display using the standard X11 fonts, are now
included here. They were previously in a separate package, groff-x11.
Besides these, the groff package contains man pages describing the language
and its macro sets, info documentation, and a number of supplementary
- gxditview, which is used to display the output of the X* devices, and
can also be used to view PostScript output from groff;
- grn, a preprocessor for pictures in the 'gremlin' format;
- tfmtodit, which creates font files for use with 'groff -Tdvi';
- hpftodit, which creates font files for use with 'groff -Tlj4';
- afmtodit, which creates font files for use with 'groff -Tps';
- refer, which preprocesses bibliographic references for use with groff;
- indxbib, which creates inverted indices for bibliographic databases used
- lkbib and lookbib, which search bibliographic databases;
- addftinfo, which adds metric information to troff font files for use
- pfbtops, which translates a PostScript font in .pfb format to ASCII for
use with groff;
- mmroff, a simple groff preprocessor which expands references in mm;
- pic2graph, which converts PIC diagrams into cropped image files;
- eqn2graph, which converts EQN equations into cropped image files;
- pdfmom, which runs 'groff -mom' to produce PDFs.
All the standard macro packages are supported.
Some facilities only work if certain recommended packages are installed:
- ghostscript, netpbm, psutils: required for HTML output;
- imagemagick: required for the pic2graph and eqn2graph programs;
- libpaper1: paper size detection in dvi, lbp, lj4, and ps devices (falls
back to a4 if not installed);
- perl: required for PDF output and for the chem preprocessor.
Upload more screenshots
Please help extend the collection of screenshots. Just make a screenshot and upload it here. You don't need to register or anything. Upload a screenshot
Hint: upload an image here from your clipboard with Ctrl-V
Install this software package
If the package is available for the distribution you are currently using on your computer then install the software by clicking on… Install groff