XFaces is a program that will display an image for each
piece of mail in your mail box. This lets you know at a
glance who you have mail from. XFaces starts out (when you
have no mail) looking like a color xbiff. As you receive
mail XFaces becomes a column of mail images. Some of XFaces
- Both mono and color images.
- Optional Shaped window support with both xpm and xbm.
- Sound support using the NetAudio protocol. The NetAudio server
currently supports Sun's SparcStation (SunOS 4.1.X and Solaris
2.2), SGI's Indigo and NCD MCX X terminals running NCDware 3.1 or
- Face images can be "compressed" so that each image will only show
up once on your display. This way, if you receive 30 messages from
one user, list or whatever the image will only show up once.
- You can use regular expressions to search any headers to choose
images and sounds or ignore that mail message completely. This
lets you specify an image/sound for mail that comes from a mailing
list or ignore mail that you have already seen but left in your
- Compatibility support for Rich Burridge's faces program. This
includes the ability to run user command to generate the image
- Support for POP mailboxes.
- XFaces can kick off shell commands based upon mailbox contents.
You could have yourself paged when a high priority item needs your
- XFaces can run external filters to convert images into Xpm so that
image formats that XFaces does not understand can be used.
- The annotations for mail items include username, hostname, count,
user@host, the contents of any header.
Upload more screenshots
Please help extend the collection of screenshots. Just make a screenshot and upload it here. You don't need to register or anything. Upload a screenshot
Hint: upload an image here from your clipboard with Ctrl-V
Install this software package
If the package is available for the distribution you are currently using on your computer then install the software by clicking on… Install xfaces