About this web site
This is a public repository of screenshots taken from applications contained in the Debian GNU/Linux distribution and its derivates like Ubuntu. It was created to help getting an impression of what a certain software will look like on your desktop before you install it. Everybody can take screenshots and upload them. Our admin team will just review your changes before they become publicly visible.
Who runs this site?
This site is operated by Christoph Haas. Want to leave feedback?
Cookies and privacy
I am very concerned with privacy myself. So this site stores as little information about your stay as possible. That is:
- Cookies.Only when you upload a screenshot the website will send your browser a cookie. That allows you to manage your own uploads while the cookie is valid. You can still upload screenshots even if you reject the cookie.
- Log files.This web site is served by the nginx web server software. It creates one line for every request that you make which contains the current date and time, your IP address, the URL you requested, the user agent (browser) identification string and the referer URL (if you followed a link from another web site to get here). This information is only used to improve the performance of the web application by optimizing the code and fine-tuning caching. It is also used to count how often
- PrivacyUnder no circumstance will information about your person be collected or processed. I am happy to have you here as my guest.
- MotivationDo you wonder why this web site has been running for so many years obviously costing time and money? It's one of my pet projects and it is fun to develop and operate it. It was not conceived to make a profit from it. I'm just glad if you like the idea.
Which software packages are listed?
I import the package repositories from various Linux distributions once a day. However we already filter out packages that we think would not be able to have a meaningful screenshot. Like libraries or documentation or developer packages. So it may happen that you a package is not found on this web sites although it may be available in your favorite Linux distribution. Just let me know if you are missing packages.
The repositories that I am scanning frequently are:
Who is using this site?
Many users interested in Linux distributions and their applications visit this site either to look for specific pieces of software for certain use cases or just to see if there are any new applications they may have missed out on. And then there are several applications and web sites that use the screenshots from this site:
- Ubuntu's Software Center
- Benjamin Mesing's Packagesearch application
How you can use the screenshots
You can use the screenshots on your own website. Some useful URLs:
(List of all packages with screenshots)
(Page with details and screenshots for a certain package)
(Returns a thumbnail (160x120 pixels or less) of a package's first found screenshot. If no screenshot was found then a dummy image will be returned along with the HTTP code 404.)
(Returns a screenshot (800x600 pixels or less) of a package. If no screenshot was found then a dummy image will be returned along with the HTTP code 404.)
Uploading new screenshots
Whether you are a developer or not - we appreciate if you upload screenshots. See if your favorite package does not yet have a screenshot and upload one.
There are currently 40968 software packages in the database. And 7335 screenshots have been uploaded.
Who is behind this site?