Dotter is a graphical dot-matrix program for detailed comparison of two
* Every residue in one sequence is compared to every residue in the
other, and a matrix of scores is calculated.
* One sequence is plotted on the x-axis and the other on the y-axis.
* Noise is filtered out so that alignments appear as diagonal lines.
* Pairwise scores are averaged over a sliding window to make the score
matrix more intelligible.
* The averaged score matrix forms a three-dimensional landscape,
with the two sequences in two dimensions and the height of the
peaks in the third. This landscape is projected onto two
dimensions using a grey-scale image - the darker grey of a peak,
the higher the score is.
* The contrast and threshold of the grey-scale image can be adjusted
interactively, without having to recalculate the score matrix.
* An Alignment Tool is provided to examine the sequence alignment that
the grey-scale image represents.
* Known high-scoring pairs can be loaded from a GFF file and overlaid
onto the plot.
* Gene models can be loaded from GFF and displayed alongside the
* Compare a sequence against itself to find internal repeats.
* Find overlaps between multiple sequences by making a dot-plot of all
sequences versus themselves.
* Run Dotter in batch mode to create large, time-consuming dot-plots as
a background process.
Upload more screenshots
Please help extend the collection of screenshots. Just make a screenshot and upload it here. You don't need to register or anything. Upload a screenshot
Hint: upload an image here from your clipboard with Ctrl-V
Install this software package
If the package is available for the distribution you are currently using on your computer then install the software by clicking on… Install dotter