graphical player for Interactive Fiction games
DescriptionGargoyle is an Interactive Fiction (text adventure) player that supports all the major interactive fiction formats. Most interactive fiction is distributed as portable game files. These portable game files come in many formats. In the past, you used to have to download a separate player (interpreter) for each format of IF you wanted to play. Instead, Gargoyle provides unified player. Gargoyle is based on the standard interpreters for the formats it supports: .taf (Adrift games, played with Scare), .dat (AdvSys), *.agx/.d$$ (AGiliTy), .a3c (Alan3), .asl/.cas (Quest games, played with Geas), .jacl/.j2 (JACL), .l9/.sna (Level 9), .mag (Magnetic), *.saga (Scott Adams Grand Adventures), .gam/.t3 (TADS), *.z1/.z2/.z3/.z4/.z5/.z6/.z7/.z8 (Inform Z-Machine games, played with Frotz, Nitfol or Bocfel), .ulx/.blb/.blorb/.glb/.gblorb (Inform or Superglús games compiled to the Glulxe VM in Blorb archives, played with Git or Glulxe), .zlb, .zblorb (Inform Z-Machine games in Blorb archives, played with Frotz). (note: do not confuse the Git Glux interpreter with the Git DVCS or the GNU Interactive Tools) Gargoyle also features graphics, sounds and Unicode support. Technically all the bundled interpreters support the Glk API to manage I/O (keyboard, graphics, sounds, file) in IF games. Gargoyle provides a Glk implementation called garglk that displays texts and images in a graphical Gtk window, with care on typography. Limitations: * This free version of gargoyle does not include the non-free Hugo interpreter (and uses a different, free monospace font). * While Gargoyle can display in-game pictures, it does not provide a way to display the cover art present in some Blorb archives. * The TADS interpreter doesn't support HTML TADS; you can play the games, but will miss the hyperlinks.
102191 other people were interested in this package here. The newest known version of this software is 2011.1b-1 (Information last updated about 4 hours ago.)
Upload new screenshots
Thanks for uploading more screenshots. Please note:
- Your screenshot should contain a typical scene when working with it.
- Take only a screenshot of the respective application and not of your whole desktop (unless the screenshot is meant for a window manager).
- Your screenshots must be in PNG format.
- You can upload multiple images at once.
- Your screenshot need to be approved by the moderators first. You will already see your screenshot but it will not be visible to others instantly. If moderators reject your upload you will get notified next time you visit this site (requires cookies).
- Images larger than 800x600 pixels will automatically be reduced. So don't try to capture too much detail in a screenshot. It may become unreadable. Shrink the applications window if possible.
- Screenshots are made public and can freely be used by anyone.
- Useful programs for making screenshots are shutter, ksnapshot (KDE), gimp, xwd or scrot. See the Debian wiki for more information on how to make screenshots under Debian.
- Please set your language to english so that everybody understands it. If you don't use english by default please start your application from a shell using after setting "export LANG=C".