change the idle3 timer of recent Western Digital Hard Disk Drives
DescriptionIdle3-tools provides a linux/unix utility that can disable, get and set the value of the infamous idle3 timer found on recent Western Digital Hard Disk Drives. It can be used as an alternative to the official wdidle3.exe proprietary utility, without the need to reboot in a DOS environment. A power off/on cycle of the drive will still be mandatory for new settings to be taken into account. Modern Western Digital "Green" Drives include the Intellipark feature that stops the disk when not in use. Unfortunately, the default timer setting is not perfect on linux/unix systems, including many NAS, and leads to a dramatic increase of the Load Cycle Count value (SMART attribute #193). With the default timer setting, the drive will spin down *every eight seconds* if idle and this may get the spindle motor to burn out in a few months or so. If you have a Western Digital EADS or EARS drive, please check you SMART information before it's too late by running the following command:
3479 other people were interested in this package here. The newest known version of this software is 0.9.1-2 (Information last updated about 11 hours ago.)
Upload new screenshots
Thanks for uploading more screenshots. Please note:
- Your screenshot should contain a typical scene when working with it.
- Take only a screenshot of the respective application and not of your whole desktop (unless the screenshot is meant for a window manager).
- Your screenshots must be in PNG format.
- You can upload multiple images at once.
- Your screenshot need to be approved by the moderators first. You will already see your screenshot but it will not be visible to others instantly. If moderators reject your upload you will get notified next time you visit this site (requires cookies).
- Images larger than 800x600 pixels will automatically be reduced. So don't try to capture too much detail in a screenshot. It may become unreadable. Shrink the applications window if possible.
- Screenshots are made public and can freely be used by anyone.
- Useful programs for making screenshots are shutter, ksnapshot (KDE), gimp, xwd or scrot. See the Debian wiki for more information on how to make screenshots under Debian.
- Please set your language to english so that everybody understands it. If you don't use english by default please start your application from a shell using after setting "export LANG=C".