DescriptionLyX is an almost WYSIWYG-frontend for LaTeX. It makes the power and typesetting quality of LaTeX available for people who are used to word processors. Since LyX supports LaTeX's concept of general mark-ups, it is even easier and faster to create professional quality documents with it than with usual word processors. It is also possible to use LaTeX commands within LyX, so nothing of LaTeX's power is lost. You can extend the functionality of LyX by installing these packages:
* chktex: check for typographical errors
* gnuhtml2latex: import HTML documents
* groff: improved table formatting in plain text exports
* latex-xcolor: for coloured change tracking
* librsvg2-bin, inkscape: use the SVG image format in LyX documents
* linuxdoc-tools: export SGML LinuxDoc documents
* mythes-*: use the OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice Thesaurus
* noweb: import noweb files
* rcs: integrated version control
* sgmltools-lite: export SGML DocBook documents
* texlive-xetex, etoolbox: use the XeTeX typesetting system
* wv: import MS Word documents
Upload new screenshots
Thanks for uploading more screenshots. Please note:
- Your screenshot should contain a typical scene when working with it.
- Take only a screenshot of the respective application and not of your whole desktop (unless the screenshot is meant for a window manager).
- Your screenshots must be in PNG format.
- You can upload multiple images at once.
- Your screenshot need to be approved by the moderators first. You will already see your screenshot but it will not be visible to others instantly. If moderators reject your upload you will get notified next time you visit this site (requires cookies).
- Images larger than 800x600 pixels will automatically be reduced. So don't try to capture too much detail in a screenshot. It may become unreadable. Shrink the applications window if possible.
- Screenshots are made public and can freely be used by anyone.
- Useful programs for making screenshots are shutter, ksnapshot (KDE), gimp, xwd or scrot. See the Debian wiki for more information on how to make screenshots under Debian.
- Please set your language to english so that everybody understands it. If you don't use english by default please start your application from a shell using after setting "export LANG=C".