Small and dependency free Python module to infer file type and MIME type
checking the magic numbers signature of a file or buffer (aka file pattern).
This is a Python port from filetype Go package.
- Simple and friendly API.
- Supports a wide range of file types.
- Provides file extension and MIME type inference.
- File discovery by extension or MIME type.
- File discovery by kind (image, video, audio...).
- Pluggable: add new custom type matchers.
- Fast, even processing large files.
- Only first 261 bytes representing the max file header is required, so you
can just pass a list of bytes.
- Dependency free (just Python code, no C extensions, no libmagic bindings).
- Cross-platform file recognition.
Currently, the following patterns are recognised:
- Image: bmp, cr2, dwg, gif, heic, ico, jpg, jpx, jxr, png, psd, tif, xcf,
- Video: avi, flv, m4v, mkv, mov, mp4, mpg, webm, wmv, 3gpp.
- Audio: aac, aiff, amr, flac, m4a, mid, mp3, ogg, wav.
- Archive: ar, br, bz2, cab, crx, dcm, deb, eot, epub, exe, gz, lz, lzo, lz4,
nes, pdf, ps, rar, rpm, rtf, sqlite, swf, tar, xz, zip, Z, 7z.
- Font: otf, ttf, woff, woff2.
- Application: wasm.
This package contains the filetype module for Python 3 and an executable.
Upload more screenshots
Please help extend the collection of screenshots. Just make a screenshot and upload it here. You don't need to register or anything. Upload a screenshot
Hint: upload an image here from your clipboard with Ctrl-V
Install this software package
If the package is available for the distribution you are currently using on your computer then install the software by clicking on… Install python3-filetype