Universal grep: ultra fast searcher of file systems, text and
binary files, source code, archives, compressed files, documents, and more.
The main features include:
- Written in clean and efficient C++11, built for speed
- Ultra fast with new match algorithms beating grep, ripgrep, silver
searcher, hyperscan, etc.
- Multi-threaded search using high-performance lock-free job queue stealing
- Multi-threaded task-parallel decompression and search
- Optimized pattern matching (AVX, SSE2, ARM NEON/AArch64)
- Optimized asynchronous IO for efficient concurrent searching
- Thoroughly tested (includes over 1000 test cases)
- Compatible with the standard GNU/BSD grep command-line options
- Comprehensive how-to tutorial for beginners to advanced users
- Interactive query UI to enter search patterns
- Select files to search by file types, filename suffix, and "magic bytes"
- Search archives (cpio, jar, tar, pax, zip)
- Search compressed files (zip, gz, Z, bz, bz2, lzma, xz)
- Search pdf, doc, docx, xls, xlxs, and more using filters
- Search binary files and display hexdumps with binary pattern matches
- Search UTF-encoded files with Unicode pattern matches (by default)
- Search files encoded in ISO-8859-1 thru 16, CP 437, CP 850, MAC, KOI8, etc.
- Search files excluding files specified by .gitignore etc.
- Search patterns across newlines, matching multiple lines at once
- Search patterns excluding negative patterns ("match this but not that")
- Includes predefined regex patterns to search source code, XML, JSON, HTML
- Output results in CSV, JSON, XML, and user-specified formats
- Sort matching files by name, size, and time
- Portable, compiles and runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, Windows, etc.
Upload more screenshots
Please help extend the collection of screenshots. Just make a screenshot and upload it here. You don't need to register or anything. Upload a screenshot
Hint: upload an image here from your clipboard with Ctrl-V
Install this software package
If the package is available for the distribution you are currently using on your computer then install the software by clicking on… Install ugrep